Garrett is a wonderfully compassionate son and brother. He is kind and aware of other people's needs and concerns. For example, flying home from our 10 day trip to Utah I had the stomach flu. Don't know what it is about Utah, but every time we visit someone in the family gets the flu bug. Not only that, the last time I was pregnant and flying home from Utah I ended up throwing up the entire trip home. No worse place to get the stomach flu than on an airplane, so far I've had it twice! Ugh. Anyway, short digression. I was feeling awful and hardly able to keep my head up. Garrett sat next to me and rubbed my arm and gave me little hugs. Then after I got sick instead of getting grossed out he says "Mom, I know it's hard but your doing great, just get all the bad stuff out." He continued to give me words of encouragement and little smiles the rest of the way home. Then when we had our layover the other kids with Dad as chaperone ran over to the video games. Instead of going with them, he chose to sit with me while I layed pathetically on the floor of the airport. You have to understand, video games are one of his most favorite things to do, so it was a huge sacrifice for him to stay with his ailing mama, which of course made it even more endearing. Then when we finally made it home to Spokane, Scott ran to get the car while I sat with the kids waiting for the baggage. Just because I wanted to get home ASAP I decided to take all the baggage out to the curb instead of wait for Scott to come in and get the suitcases (it drives Scott crazy sometimes that I just try to do things by myself without waiting for him, but that's another story). Garrett loaded up his arms with as many bags as he could carry and when I told him to give me some (he looked as if he was going to fall over) he said, "no, Mom I really want to help you." My heart melted yet again. What a sweet boy I have. My mother's heart is just bursting with pride.
Haunted Picture Frame Wall
5 years ago

4 comments:
a)Good job on your blog! I hope it's fun for you!
b)It's a reflection of parenting when kids are that compassionate. Good job to you!
Hi, Misty - I love your blog...so happy to be able to see and read up on what is happening with your family! Thanks for the fun stories and photos. We need to stay in better touch, and this will help (on your end, at least). ~Tanya
Yeah,Misty! You've joined the blogging world! The only thing is, you now need to blog on two blogs...or at least post a link on the Gundersen blog so that you don't have to actually post everything twice. I loved the story about Garrett. That is definitely something you'll want to always remember. What a sweetheart!
What a super sweet boy! I'm so glad you have a blog now! Just one more that I get to stalk ;-)
Post a Comment